About Finchley, Barnet
Finchley Painters and Decorators are proud to be the #1 Local decorating company in Finchley and the surrounding areas.
Finchley is a large district in North London. It is in the London Borough of Barnet. The name Finchley is Anglo Saxon and means Finc-(a)leah, which derives from the personal name Fincel or Finsel. The earliest surviving references are around AD 955 as Finechellai and 1086 as Finchale.
In 1894 Finchley was removed from Middlesex, to form part of the County of London. In 1965 the municipal borough of Finchley merged with the Municipal Borough of Wood Green to form the London Borough of Barnet. Today it is a large suburban area bordering Greater London's northern boundary with Hertfordshire (Hatfield). It contains significant areas of ancient woodland including seven sites that are listed by Natural England as Local Nature Reserves.
Finchley has three town centres - East Finchley, North Finchley and Finchley Church End. The population of Finchley District is approximately 65,812.
Golders Green, Friern Barnet, Whetstone, Mill Hill, Hendon and Muswell Hill are some of the districts that are close to Finchley.
Finchley Central constituency was created in 1918 and has been represented by one Member of Parliament since 1935. Finchley & Golders Green is a safe Conservative ward in the local government elections, however, their rivals Barnet Labour have had councillors elected on three occasions — most recently in 1982 when they gained Ganton ward from Conservative Party.
Finchley is divided between two UK Parliament constituencies: Finchley and Golders Green and Hendon; all of Finchley forms part of the former, while the bulk of its western section (including Woodside Park and Garden Suburb) fall within the latter. "The London Yellow Pages" telephone directory refers to Finchley: Northwood: Golders Green, to which there is acknowledgement in the address of the London Borough of Barnet's Civic Centre on Childs Hill (N.19).
In common with much of inner north-west London, Finchley was largely developed in the Victorian era and has few listed buildings other than St Mary Magdalene Church and adjacent former school building designed by Martin & Chamberlain which were listed Grade II* in 1983. Until East End Way was completed in 1986, Finchley was a major traffic bottleneck affecting all forms of transport; today it is one of London's few remaining traffic black spots and consequently, its main shopping area at The Triangle suffers from severe congestion problems. Transport for London has long-term plans to relieve this situation by constructing an Eastern Avenue along the former railway line.
Finchley is served by a number of Transport for London bus services connecting it with areas including Archway, Golders Green, Hendon, Hornsey and Swiss Cottage. In addition, there are two-night buses which serve Finchley during late night hours on Fridays and Saturdays providing transportation links to various parts of Central and Inner North London.
The main shopping area at The Triangle was redeveloped in 2007 resulting in longer pedestrian routes into adjacent side streets such as Finchley Road and East End Way which have many other shops.
Finchley is well connected through the London Underground transport system. It has 4 stations on the High Barnet branch of the Northern Line namely Whetstone, East Finchley, West Finchley, Finchley Central and Woodside Park. Other stations within walking distance include Hendon, Mill Hill Broadway, High Barnet and Cricklewood stations.
There are many buildings of architectural interest in Finchley, including those designed by Sir Ernest George, R. E. Koyne, F.R.I.B.A., Wirth & Fordham and James Cubitt among others; Blair Lodge at Bettesworth Wood and Temple Moor House in East End Way are both Grade II* Listed for instance. St Mary’s Church on the west side of Ballards Lane was completed in 1878 with later additions being made to its design such as a South aisle built-in 1912-13 which was consecrated on 12 November 1913 by Bishop John Graham White who subsequently became the Archbishop of York. The Memorial Church of St Francis was designed by Sir Richard John Watkin and built-in 1931; it is an impressive building of Burgundian design, especially when seen from the east.
Finchley's area postcodes include N2, N3 and N12.
Finchley has various greens that are maintained by the London Borough of Barnet's parks department including North Finchley Cemetery which is next to East End Way but can only be reached via Reservoir Road/High Road (A1000); there are war graves here and all individual gravestones have been replaced with a simple memorial indicating that they died in World War I or World War II but no details of where each person is buried. There is also another cemetery on the opposite side of Ballards Lane in Highgate Hill although this was never consecrated as a cemetery for burials.
The two largest parks in Finchley are Crowing Lane Recreation Ground and Ballards Playing Fields, both in Upper Holloway N2 and both are maintained by the London Borough of Barnet's parks department. In Highgate Hill, there is a small park next to East End Road called The Perch which is maintained by the residents of this street (a private estate). There used to be another similar-sized park in Underhill Avenue but it has been recently built on; now there remains only one recreation ground left adjoining Hinchley Wood N3 with footpaths all around it however this was originally part of a larger area known as Vicarage Grove Gardens that was once home to Spanish Embassy before they moved to Theobalds Park.
Highgate Wood is a large open area with many paths and old trees, it's the biggest expanse of woodland left in the N5 (North Finchley) area. Parts of this woodland have been developed over time into country parks now maintained by Barnet Council highgate woods has a good variety of wildlife.
Just up the road from Highgate Woods is Alexandra Palace which was the first public building ever made out of steel. In Northern Road near to Cecil Avenue, there are two small library buildings both maintained by Barnet council, one is smaller and is run as part of the Queens Crescent Children Centre, while on the other side of the road with its entrance facing Chapel Road there is another larger library building which houses the main Finchley Library as well as a cafe and is run independently. There are two shopping centre's in the area, one at Tally Ho Corner near St Pauls Church on Church Lane with a Sainsbury's Local Store and an Italian Restaurant. The other shopping centre called Finchley Central which has both national chains such as Greggs and Costa Coffee & Co-Operative Food and independent retailers including Men's Hairdressers, Bookstore, Florist etc.
There are also around 10 Bed and Breakfast/Guest House establishments scattered all over North Finchley; these include Granary Guesthouse (which is now closed), Harper House B&B and Meadowgate B&B situated on Masefield Avenue. There are also two hotels nearby; the Red Lion Hotel (now closed) and the North Finchley Lodge hotel. The N15 postcode area contains around 100 square miles of woodland, much of which is in North Finchley.
The Church on Church Lane hosts a regular Sunday evening service on Sundays from 6:30 pm to 8 pm during term time. The church does host other services throughout the week with Holy Communion being held every morning at 9 am except for Wednesday and Friday mornings when it takes place at 10 am as there is a bible study group taking place then. It is located in Charles Spurgeon's old house and was given by his son Walter to the Metropolitan Tabernacle when they visited North Finchley in 1886.